Skip to main content

Paralympic Games, Barbie Dolls and Why Representation Matters

Chilean paralympic shot putter Francisca Mardones posing with her Barbie doll. Both are in wheelchairs and wearing a black tracksuit and red tennis shoes.


While everyone else was buzzing about the recent Olympic Games in Tokyo, I was way too busy finishing my thesis to even remotely consider watching them. I normally love to watch the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as any competition featuring Chilean or German athletes/teams, but this time I simply couldn't, partly due to my obligations and partly because of the mind-blowing 13 hour time difference between Chile and Japan. But deep down inside, I was actually much more excited for the event that would follow two weeks later: the Paralympics. Not to my surprise, yet much to my dismay, the Paralympics were not broadcasted anywhere on Chilean television, nor on any of the cable sports channels that we have, while the traditional Olympics obviously were. "Geez, so much for diversity!", I thought. "Looks like the only minorities that matter are the ones that sell".

But then, something happened that quickly restored my faith in this ever-evolving humanity. To mark the occasion, and right before the Games started, Mattel announced that the first ever Chilean woman to get her own Barbie doll would be none other than Francisca Mardones, shot putter and flag carrier for the Tokio Paralympics. As soon as I saw the news I started jumping up and down in my seat with excitement and showed it to my mother like I was five years old. Finally, representation!

Looking back as an adult, I think I would have given anything in the world for a doll like that when I was little. I just didn't know it was even possible, so I didn't feel sad about it. It's only now that I've grown that I realize just how impactful it is to see yourself represented while you are growing up as a minority of any kind, whether you are Black, gay or disabled, like me. It makes you feel way less alone, and even more importantly, it gives you the sensation that you actually matter. On the other hand, it helps change the way you are percieved by the rest of society, because people become aware of your existence and the idea that humans are diverse before they actually meet you, leading to far fewer misconceptions, harmful stereotypes and preconceived notions. If a child has a doll that is missing an arm, they will be far less shocked when they see another child in preschool that is missing an arm as well. That is the true meaning behind the word "representation", though I almost feel that it has been so overused people no longer realize how vital it is. Their mind jumps straight to quotas and affirmative action, but to us it means so much more than that. It is a tool to make our faces seen, our voices heard, our struggles understood and our needs met. If you don't see the person with the problem, you will hardly be able to solve it because it becomes too abstract, which is why so many organizations and campaigns tend to use spokespeople or ambassadors to advocate for their causes.

Another issue I have noticed with disability representations in the media is that they nearly always feature children or teens, effectively erasing us disabled adults as if we dissappeared into thin air when we grow up. Personally, I would love nothing more than to see more depictions of people like me having careers, jobs, romantic (and sexual!) relationships and children. And I would love it even more if the disability wasn't even mentioned as a fictional character's distinctive feature or main storyline, but rather as only one aspect of a well-written, three-dimensional person that goes beyond the "victim", "angel" or "inspirational" stereotype we so often see.

Finally, I could never stress out enough just how important it is for every human being to feel identified, to feel like they can see themselves, their appearances and their stories reflected on others, because only then you become able to visualize a future.

As for the Barbie doll, well... I'm getting her no matter what. Who said they're for children anyway?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"La Audacia": Reseña de Novela

  El año pasado, mi gran amiga de varios años y antigua compañera de militancia feminista  Yasmín Gray (Chile, 1984) publicó su primera novela, La Audacia , un relato de tintes feministas y escrito a modo de thriller psicológico que yo, lógicamente, pedí como regalo de cumpleaños aprovechando que mi papá tenía que viajar a Santiago. Al recibirlo, decidí empezarlo el 1 de enero, sabiendo que a mediados de mes iba a reunirme con Yasmín para que me lo firmara. Resulta poco decir que me atrapó desde la primera página: prácticamente no pude soltarlo más, si bien a veces iba deteniendo la lectura por la naturaleza emocionalmente densa del texto. Decidí preguntarle a Yasmín si me daba permiso de escribir una reseña, y ella aceptó feliz, por lo que después de hacer mi mejor esfuerzo por hacerle justicia, hoy la publico con motivo del 8M, Día Internacional de la Mujer. La historia, que cuenta con 123 páginas, está contada en primera persona y se desarrolla con una cronología no lineal; los capí

Discapacidad y Maternidad: ¿Por Qué No?

  "¿Qué quieres ser cuando seas grande?" , es una pregunta que de chica escuché muchas veces, como cualquier otro niño. Y como es de esperarse, a lo largo de los años se me ocurrieron todo tipo de respuestas diferentes: princesa, veterinaria, diseñadora de moda, científica, ¡de todo! Pero por más ideas locas y completamente opuestas que tuviera respecto a lo que quería profesionalmente, hay una cosa que nunca cambió: mi deseo de ser mamá. Cuando era pequeña me encantaba jugar con mis muñecas y fingir que estaba embarazada escondiéndolas debajo de mi camisa, como estoy segura que a muchas otras niñas también les gustaba. Hace años tengo nombres escogidos, uno para niño y otro para niña. Lo único que me falta es la criatura. Durante mucho tiempo no pensé que mi condición física pudiera ser un potencial obstáculo para la maternidad. Fue sólo después de un incidente que tuve en mi último año del liceo que me empecé a cuestionar si eso era posible siquiera. Una de mis compañeras a

How Being Disabled Affected My Bodily Autonomy

A while ago, I decided to treat myself to a nice and long warm bath. I got in the tub, closed the curtain behind me and tried to make myself comfortable and enjoy the moment. Then, as I was applying shower gel all over, I began to take a closer look at my body, in its natural state, still wondering how it looked so womanly when I still felt like a young girl. It was not long before I realized that one thing had not changed: the numerous scars that cover it. I became increasingly upset as I became aware of the marks left behind by my dozen different surgeries, the evidence of so many traumatic experiences that were now carved in my skin for the rest of my life. Every glimpse of my naked body was a reminder of what I have been through. I felt like every look at my naked body was a reminder of all that I had been through. In the end I lay in the bathtub, with the water up to my ears and cried until I got out, feeling defeated and sad. Living inside my disabled body can be a constant battl